Tuesday 10 July 2012

A new place to live

We have a place to live in Glasgow. We're really moving!

We are driving up on Friday to sign the lease and get the keys. We found a 2 bed / 2 bath flat that couldn't be any closer to the university. The location is great. We are right in an area filled with shops and cafes and there is so much within walking distance. There's also a subway station right near us and £1.20 will get you right into the city centre. I can't imagine we'll use the car very often.

The flat itself.... there is nothing wrong with it. It's nice, they've just laid brand new carpet (and it's the nicest carpet I've ever seen in a rental), it's on the ground floor and really not much I can complain about. BUT... I'm really not a fan of most British houses and flats. I'm American and I grew up in very open houses. What I love about the apartment we're in right now is the open plan. The new flat we are getting is very much like a typical British flat.

You come into the front door and there is nothing but hallway. A door to the kitchen on the left and a door to the living room on the right. Halfway down the hall is a door to the bathroom on the left. At the end of the hall is a door to Izzy's room on the right and our bedroom on the left along with another bathroom attached to it. Doors doors doors.

I hate this type of floor plan. Not only does it feel incredibly claustrophobic to me, but it also seems like such a waste of space. I know, it's not the end of the world. We're lucky that the living room is bigger than the standard here and that was one thing I wasn't going to compromise on. But overall, the location was just too good pass up.

We won't be moving until next month and while I'm not looking forward to the actual move, I think it will oddly be the easiest one we've had yet. This will be my eighth place since moving here seven years ago. I think my husband has some gypsy blood in him! This will be our farthest move so we'll be renting a truck this time (one trip, yay!) and my husband's sister, brothers and dad are all going to help. It'll be very different from our typical move of hauling carloads over a week or more!

So, our new adventure is not far away now!

No comments:

Post a Comment