Friday 6 July 2012

Aillidh

It's been a week since I've posted. There has been a lot happening in my mind over the week and I've just been sort of dealing with it.

Someone very close to me checked themselves into the hospital for a mental evaluation last Friday night when, apparently, things just go to be too much. The person was transferred into a mental health facility. It was very worrisome and extremely stressful not knowing what was happening. Fortunately, they are back home now after several days and getting to see their doctor and having some meds adjusted. I'm glad my husband was here for me because when thing like that stress me out I tend to have very little patience with my little one.

The other thing that has been really upsetting me this week is the life of a little girl named Aillidh, the daughter of a fellow American-expat. I don't know her personally but we have a lot of mutual friends (via an expat community). Aillidh is eight years old and has Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. She's been an inpatient in the hospital for like half a year now. They had been looking for a bone marrow donor for ages but due to her unusual mix of being part Native American and part Scottish, things didn't look good for long time. Finally, when she had nearly run out of time a donor was found and she received the transplant. The transplant took but unfortunately, she started having problems with infections and for the past couple of months has been fighting them.

This week things got really bad for Aillidh and her health rapidly declined. I'm only watching from afar and have only been able to offer words via the Facebook page and send positive and healing thoughts, but I've been very affected by it. I never ever thought that her story wasn't going to have a happy ending. Especially after she received her transplant. But yesterday it got so bad that a priest was called in to administer her last rites. It sounded as though she wasn't expected to make it through the night. But, Aillidh has been a fighter through all of this and it appears she is still fighting. She held on through the night and even showed some improvements in her sats. Today they have gone back down a bit. I can't even imagine what this is like for her parents.

I was talking about her in the car to my husband the other day, when it finally sounded as though she wasn't going to make it and I started crying. It's just so horribly sad. Eight years old. Only last month she was listing off the things she was going to do when she finally got out of the hospital. Every morning now when I wake up she's my first thought, hoping that she's made it through the night. I still have hope that she's going to pull through this (especially after she seemed to get a bit better for awhile last night) and I am continuing to keep her in my thoughts and trying to send positivity and healing energy her way. She can use all the prayers and thoughts she can get, so for anyone who is reading this, please keep Aillidh (and her family) in your prayers and thoughts too.

Aillidh's Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment