Monday 30 July 2012

Moving delayed and my trip to Leeds

We're supposed to be in our new place in Glasgow right now but my husband woke up really sick on Friday and suffered all weekend with a fever and chills and the most painful sore throat of his life. He saw a nurse practitioner who gave him antibiotics for strep throat. But yesterday he started breaking out in a rash and I'm now convinced that he has Hand Foot and Mouth disease rather than strep throat. He has an appointment to see a doctor after hours tonight to be checked again.

So, we're hoping to move this coming weekend if he's up for hauling furniture around. We're going to have to go up on Thursday and sit around most of the day though because we're expecting a technician to hook up our phone and broadband.


LEEDS



On Friday Isaac and I took a train down to Leeds along with my brother-in-law's wife and their little one. It was a 2.5 hour journey each way and Isaac did much better than I anticipated. Both times he got quite antsy towards the end of the journey and wanted to be allowed to walk around, probably to stretch his legs, but he was a little trooper. On the way there, an older gentleman sat behind us commented on how well behaved both kids were. It's so nice to get that kind of compliment.



Leeds was really nice. First thing we did was meet up with a fellow American expat at Starbucks for a coffee. We've known each other online for about 7 years but it was our first time meeting in person. I was worried I would be super awkward because I don't socialize much these days but I think I did all right. Ha! Plus she was really nice and easy to talk to. She showed us around the city center a bit. Stupidly didn't get a picture of us together!

It was nice going to a city I haven't been before. There is so much more of the UK I need to see. Can you believe I've been here for seven years and never visited London? We flew out of London last time we went to America so we drove more than 6 hours to get there but that was just straight to the airport. I definitely need to get down there at some point!


1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of Hand Foot & Mouth disease until today and now you're the second person to mention it!! In one day! I had coffee with a friend today and I hadn't seen her for several months - she had a bout of it which her GP insisted was not it. But she's sure she was right and I kind of think she was, based on what she said. She was really tired at first and had a high fever and a sore throat. Then she got little red pin-prick dots all over her hands. They later turned into blisters. She also got some on her feet. It all went away in a couple of weeks, but she said it was AWFUL. She'd just worked at a children's party and wondered if she caught it from one of them. Apparently, most children get it at some point but it's not always even noticed because it can have very mild symptoms in children. Bizarre!

    ReplyDelete